Older Blogs

Other Adventures - South East Asia / New Zealand

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"Hello, I am a crazy driver"

I'm here, and I am brimming with happiness. I've come home to my backpack of nothing, alone in a weird world, and I couldn't be happier.
It's like when you're dreaming and you wake up, some times when you fall back asleep again you're right where you left off. It's as if coming home from my last trip in South East Asia was waking up, and now I'm right where I left off in dreamland. A dreamland of busy streets, dust, dirt, trash, smells, horns, food, culture, friendly fruit, and strangers. Right now I'm in Delhi. But lets start with the past few days of travel, and scams. I took a silvery bird from a place called my home, for 29 hours of waiting, grey speckled walls, screens, more silvery birds, conveyor belt floors, ports, peanuts, people and finally New Delhi. Where from the airport, I took the worst taxi choice of my life at 1:30am. What ever it is with me getting screwed over my first day I don't know, but It happened again. I bought a ring! No. Haha. Only this scam was far out of my control.The "taxi" I took from the airport started off knowing where I wanted to go, a major area for cheap backpacker hostels, but once we were on roads with no lights, no people, and him claiming he couldn't go where I wanted because "It's closed for 3 days for a holy holiday" (the whole area haha) I felt right back in Bangkok's Tuk-Tuk scams. Well versed in these situations in my life now. I declined to go to he "Government tourist center" but where the story gets screwy, is 2.5 hours later of trying to talk to someone not involved in the scam, trying to find out even close to where I was, and trying to reason with a man who has none, I was forced to pay a way overpriced fare for a room in a 5 story building where I was literally the only person staying there. It was that, or on the street with the stray dogs in middle of back city nowhere Delhi at 3am. So there I waited in sleep, for the sun to rise. The morning after, gorging on the free breakfast because I might as well get all I can out of what I paid, I got a taxi. The driver introduced himself with a huge toothy grin and said "Hello! I am a crazy driver!" Hahah and that he was. I made it to the New Delhi Train station, (Thinking about it now, I should be remembering to take photographs, now that I have a camera that works. I'll do my best.) I bought a train ticket to Ajmer to meet up with some friends I met in Laos last year, super excited to see them again in Pushkar! So not long in Delhi this time, but I'm sure I'll be passing through here a few more times. Not a city person anyway. So now I'm hanging around the packed streets of Delhi, enjoying the music of the smells and sounds, till my train tomorrow morning.
Overall a crazy entry to a crazy dream of a beautifully crazy adventure. I'm back to what I love most, traveling dirty, and I feel better than ever.

Love,
Noah
(No SD Card reader on this computer, so pictures next time)

1 comment: