Older Blogs

Other Adventures - South East Asia / New Zealand

Tuesday, March 19, 2013





Alright, finally getting a post done. Half of this I wrote a while ago, and couldn't post due to time and the internet, so the tense may be weird, but here it goes. Maybe, I wont ever come home. I'm so in love. India, I don't think I'm a good enough writer to say how moving you are. 6 months wont be enough . I took a train from scam city Delhi, to Amjer. 8.5 hours. Sat next to a man from ghandis birthplace, whose backpack was filled with books in Hindi, les miserable, Karl Marx, Hemingway, and posters upon posters of Che Geuvera. Odd trying to talk about literature with someone who doesn't really speak English. And the man to my right, whose only words in English were, "Both are equal." What nice words. Training through the Rajastan desert, sky, sand, camels and heat. With my new well read indian friend. I arrived in Ajmer, only after a man jumped in front of our train. A very heavy, bleak stop. Oh man. My two friends I met in Laos last year, from Demark and Australia, were waiting for me with a taxi at the train station, to take me to Pushkar. What a nice welcome! The three of us drove to the next town over the hill, Pushkar. In the hot hot desert in the heat heat The small, beautiful (if quite touristy) town surrounds a holy lake. Flat roofed, open windowed squares on top of squares make up the buildings that leave just enough small steep paths and ally ways for cows, motorbikes, trash, camels (Wa! I could watch a camel's face all day!), food stalls, and people to navigate. Spending days, as they should be spent, where the only problem is where to be happiest, drinking chai, reading, talking, chai, sharing stories, chai, and looking at camel faces. The days go by nicely. Trumpets, and drums march down the street when you least expect it, and it seems like it's always a festival in India. The three of us raced the sun up a hill to a temple to catch the sun peeking over the hill, as it does every morning. And with the monkeys, we watched the world get hotter. Spending more time drinking chai, and loving life in the shade, we left Pushakar, for the lure of a big reason I came to India, Hampi. An ancient ruined Hindu empire of temples, amidst a boulder field unlike anywhere in the world. And the hot season is coming fast, so I wanted to get south and climbing as much as I could before the craziest of heat.

We woke up at 4:30am to make it over the hill to Ajmer for out train at 5:30. Literally hundreds of sleeping, dreaming bodies covered every inch of the ground inside, and outside the train station. Through a pathway of bodies down the dark stinky train tracks. Tens of eyes following us, as they always do. We sit, wait, and our train arrives. We board with headlamps ready given the totally darkness we find on the train, look for a bed chair, and find our spot, where we will spend the next 36 hours to Hubli. And 51 hours to Hampi. We spend the train ride talking with Indians from all over, eating Dal, and Chai, and Mimosas for days, sharing meals and watching miles and miles of India pass and change out the bared windows, finishing a book (Adrift, you should read it, that guy is hardcore.) We arrived in Hubli, A strange change getting our land lands back after 36 hours in the same train car, and made our way to the bus station. A big dark, sort of seedy place where they say the bus is at 5:30 but really it leaves at 10:30 haha, we catch a really hilariously bumpy 4 hour bus ride, and arrive in Hospet, where we wait for another bus. 3 in the morning in the bus station, the girls sleep for a few hours while I kept watch, and we finally get to Hampi 51 hours later, in time with the sunrise. What a good trip. And now I'm in Hampi. Hampi really reminds me of Tonsai Thailand. I came to Hampi for the rock climbing. It's a bouldering meca with over 1,000 established routs and 100,000's untouched boulders. It was really established by Chris Sharma a few years ago, and is getting more and more popular. I honestly don't know how Hampi is what it is. There no mountains but 100,000,000,000,000 of boulders stacked on top of eachother around green green rice paddies. I've been here now for about 8 days, Tarin and Laura and I met some super kind Australians and have been spending lots of time with them climbing and talking. We've been sleeping on the floor of a restaurant with the staff for free, if we buy two meals from them a day. Really a great deal! Hampi has been amazing. I'm super glad I got here before the hot season really starts. And even now it's almost to hot in the day to read a book, just lay down a slowly die of heat. Our days have been wake up at 5:30, get to some boulders by 6:00, and climbing till we can move anymore, then lay around having 9 hour long conversations and share stories and talk until its time to eat and sleep or climb when then sun sets. It's nice to value days where you don't feel the need to move, and just talk for hours. Laura and Tarin left a few days ago for a 10 day meditation Vipassana, the same I did in Thailand last year. I've since moved to the rooftop of a guesthouse where there's a mattress and mosquito net for 75 Rupees. About $1ish. And still climbing everyday, and talking for hours in the hot hot heat. And that's about where I am now. I'll post again when I can, and here's a few photos from my camera of the trip so far, I'll have more from this time from friends cameras, but now just my own. I've learned how much different it is than South East Asia in terms of Internet accessibility. It's hard to find, given the lack of power. But anyway, here's photos and I love you all and I'll write again soon!
Noah

Delhi

Train station in Delhi


Pushkar




Good morning from the train


Poo River, Hampi












 



1 comment: